Azure VM now have serial console access via Azure portal. It is not depending on the virtual machine’s network or operating system state. This is ideal for recover machines/data, modify system configurations & troubleshooting. Azure serial console access is only available via Azure portal. It is using COM1 port of the virtual machine. This works for both Windows & Linux VMs. In my demo I am going to show how we can access windows VM via serial console.
1. A VM created via New portal. This feature is not available for classic deployment model.
2. A user with minimum of Virtual Machine Contributor role
3. Password based account for the VM
Once prerequisites are in place, we can start the configuration. In my demo setup, I am going to use a VM with Windows server 2019 datacenter version.
1) Log in to the Azure portal as Global Administrator
2) Go to Virtual Machines and click on the selected VM.
3) Then click on Boot diagnostics under Support + troubleshooting
4) In new window, Click on Settings and make sure Boot diagnostics are turned on.